Frequently Asked Questions
Our goal is to provide you with complete and accurate information on property inspections.
home inspection, commercial inspection, and environmental testing
frequently asked questions
We’ve put together a list of our most commonly asked questions to help make the property inspection process as easy and transparent as possible.
We are committed to giving you the tools you need to make an informed decision when choosing a commercial property inspection company or home inspection company. We would love to answer any questions you have about home inspection services, commercial property inspection services, and environmental testing. Just fill out the form below and we’ll answer your questions within 48 hours.
A home inspection is an unbiased analysis and report on the condition of a property. While an inspection will detect cosmetic and maintenance related issues, the main purpose is to identify big ticket items of concern such as structural, mechanical, roof, electrical, plumbing, or other safety issues and/or items that could be cost prohibitive in the purchase.
- Identify hidden or dormant defects
- Advise what should or shouldn’t be fixed
- Provide recommendations on areas of personal preference
- Determine the market value of the property
- Provide recommendations on the purchase of the inspected property
- Determine the life expectancy of the property
- Inspect the county codes
- Certify the property or its components
- If you’re buying a new or pre-owned home
- If you’re selling a home
- If you have a Builder’s warranty on a new home
- If you’re buying a commercial property
- If you’re selling a commercial property
- If you own a home at any time and want environmental testing
If you’re thinking about selling, we recommend getting your home or commercial property inspected so you can address any problems before you list your property. You may be able to increase the value of your home or commercial property by correcting any issues found in your pre-sale inspection. Pre-sale property inspections can also help prevent you from making repairs or paying for repairs when you go under contract.
Getting a property inspection before you buy gives you peace of mind. Not only can the pre-purchase inspection help you avoid costly repairs in the future, it protects your investment. The inspection report makes it much easier to negotiate issues that you may want to repair by providing detailed evidence behind the request. Utah Property Inspectors’ streamlined report design makes such negotiations even easier because repair/replace, safety, and maintenance issues are segmented and there is a one-click punch list creation button that automatically creates a list of the items you would like repaired or replaced.
It is beneficial to have numerous inspections throughout the build process to prevent unsafe foundations, incorrect rough framing, faulty electrical, HVAC, and plumbing, and improper dry wall and insulation installation, for example. While new homes may have an initial inspection by the county, the systems in new, unoccupied homes require more thorough testing because those systems have not run on a continuous or consistent basis. It is also important to have a final inspection to ensure your home is safe and up to standards.
Radon is an odorless, tasteless, noxious gas which cannot be seen. Uranium in soils decays creating a radioactive gas – Radon – that is attributed to more than 20,000 deaths per year according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
Your home is a trap for radon gas, allowing it to build up and preventing it from dissipating into the air naturally. Radon can enter through unsealed crawl spaces, cracks in floors and foundation, and the water supply.
Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well- sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements.
A Citizen’s Guide to Radon | Environmental Protection Agency
UPI uses advanced infrared scanning as well as a detailed visual inspection to identify the presence of mold in your home or building. Standard mold inspections include the following areas:
- Basement and lower rooms, crawl space, rooms with water/moisture damage
- Interior walls
- Window frames
- Ceiling tiles and other current or former damp materials made of fibrous cellulose
- All accessible heating, ventilation and air conditioning components
- Indoor plants
Home inspection and commercial inspection prices are based on a number of factors:
- Square footage
- Property type (single dwelling, apartment, commercial building, etc)
- Number of dwellings to be inspected
- Location of the inspection
- Inspection add-ons, such as Mold Testing, Radon Testing, and Methamphetamine Testing
Utah Property Inspectors believes in giving you complete and accurate information in each and every inspection. All of our property inspections include, at no additional charge:
- Infrared scanning
- Video explanations of any problems discovered during the inspection
- Photos of each area inspected
- A comprehensive, easy-to-read inspection report that includes a quick list of items of concern for quick negotitations
Our property inspections start at $350. Request a no-obligation quote today.
- Each inspector has performed at least 1,000 inspections
- The company has a strong referral base
- The company is insured
- Inspections are comprehensive
- Inspection reports are comprehensive and segment key issues from normal wear and tear
- The company uses advanced technology to detect issues
- The company offers a full range of services including environmental testing
Utah Property Inspectors conducts comprehensive inspections, from the foundation to the roof and the basement to the attic. Here are some of areas and items we inspect:
- Foundation, basement, crawlspace, and structural components
- Doors and windows
- Adjacent walkways and driveways
- Stairs, steps, stoops, stairways, and ramps
- Porches, patios, decks, balconies, and carports
- Heating system
- Cooling system
- Plumbing system and fixtures
- Water heater
- Ventilation system
- Electrical components
- Roof materials
- Built-in appliances
Subscribe & Enter to Win $100 Home Depot Gift Card
One $100 Home Depot Gift Card Awarded Each Month
we think you will too
our clients love us
Bryan has been my go to for each and every inspection I have needed in my real estate career. He is consistent, thorough, up to date and educated with the newest tricks and tools for inspections, flexible with rush jobs and always in good spirits regardless of how tight the crawl space or how hot the attic. He has always made himself available to my clients to better explain details of the inspection and any questions they have. He is top notch and I want nothing but the best for my clients!
Bryan did a very meticulous inspection of the property, finding things that I would only have found after buying and living there for a while. Not only does he go throughout the property checking the working order everything that you use daily in the house, he also reports on potential issues I might want to be aware of (trip hazards, etc.). Knowing these issues, though minor, saved me money prior to making an offer. It is also nice to know that the property I am buying is otherwise sound. Kudos to Bryan on his thoroughness and professionalism!
I have been a Realtor for 16 years and have been using Bryan Kirkham personally and recommending him to my clients for almost that entire time. He is fantastic! He is very detailed, responsible, helpful and knowledgeable. He’s competitive in his pricing and his reports are very professional and easy to read & understand. I have seen many reports from other inspectors and Bryan’s are very organized. Bryan is my first person I recommend to anyone needing an inspector! I’m thankful I found him so many years ago!